American Lung Association in Wisconsin Clean Air Choice Scholarship
Background: Now in its second century, the American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease. Asthma is a serious chronic lung condition characterized by episodes or attacks of inflammation and a narrowing of the small airways in response to triggers. An environmental trigger will contribute to asthma and lead to an asthma attack. Air pollutants are asthma triggers. Some air pollutants are known or suspected carcinogens.
Motor vehicle emissions are recognized as a source of harmful pollutants that can cause or exacerbate lung disease. The American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest supports the advancement of cleaner burning biofuels (E85 & biodiesel) to reduce air emissions through its Clean Air Choice Program.
Three (3) American Lung Association in Wisconsin Clean Air Choice Scholarships of $2,000 each are to be awarded to a qualified student – one at each of the three identified Wisconsin schools - based on the following criteria:
- Must be a registered junior, senior or graduate student in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS) at UW-Madison; College of Business, Industry, Life Science and Agriculture (BILSA) at UW-Platteville; College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) at UW-River Falls.
- Priority given to Wisconsin residents pursuing an Agriculture Engineering & Technology, Agribusiness, Agricultural and Applied Economics, Environmental Science, Community and Environmental Sociology or Agronomy, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems (or closely related) major.
- Preference given to students pursuing a career path providing long range environmental benefits.
- Criteria considerations include:
- Grade point - applicant should have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or equivalent.
- Extra-curricular activities - demonstrated leadership and ability to share knowledge
Scholarships are awarded for 2015-2016 school year. The scholarship recipients should plan on attending the Wisconsin Corn Growers Association annual meeting held in the Wisconsin Dells in June, 2015 (date has not yet been set). The scholarship recipients will be reimbursed for travel expenses associated with attending this meeting.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2015
Download Application Packet
For questions about this scholarship or the application process please contact your respective campus contact person:
College of Ag & Life Sciences
116 Ag Hall, 1450 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Dr. Mark Zidon
217 Pioneer Tower
Platteville, WI 53818
Dr. Gary Onan
Animal Science/Food Science
410 South Third
River Falls, WI 54022
More information can be found in the application packet and by contacting Danielle Clark, Coordinator, Clean Fuels & Vehicle Technologies, at the American Lung Association in Wisconsin; 262-703-4851 or Danielle.clark@Lung.org.